Have you ever wondered why you keep coming back to the same interests over and over again? Maybe you have a few interests that you enjoy, but you keep seeing the same things popping up on your News Feed, and you’re not sure why? Maybe you’re ready to discover some new interests, but you’re not sure where to start. No matter what your motivation is, I can help you find new interests on TikTok. Let’s jump in and understand how to change your interests on TikTok.
Can You Change Your Preferences On TikTok?
Yes, it is possible to change your preferences on TikTok. Perhaps there will be a time when you want to change preferences to a different category. You might be watching the same video again and again and this time you want to refresh your feed.
There are several methods to reset your feed and after that, your “For You Page” will be brand new with fresh content.
How To Change Your Interests On TikTok (Update Interest)
- First, open up the TikTok app.
- From the homepage tap on the me button at the bottom right corner to go to your profile page.
- Under your profile page, tap on the three lines or dots at the top right corner.
- Scroll down and find ‘content & activity’ then tap on ‘content preferences.
- Go ahead and Tap on ‘update interests’.
- Now choose the interests you would like to add. Once you’ve done selecting all of the interests that you would like to add tap on Save at the bottom of the page.
- These new interests will be added to your profile and you will see more of those things in your feed.
What Is TikTok “For You Page”?
The ‘For You Page‘ has filled with videos assembled by TikTok’s algorithm. It’s designed to present you with a collection of videos you should enjoy based on your behavior in the app.
It is TikTok’s algorithm that decides what you want to see based on who you follow, what videos you’ve liked, and how long you’ve watched them. All that action gives TikTok an idea of which kind of content you like.
How To Reset & Customize TikTok FYP (For You Page)?
How To Reset TikTok FYP?
- The first place you’re going to go is the magnifying glass at the bottom of the screen.
- Then hit the “search bar” up top.
- What you want to do is clear all of your “recent searches.” This will also reset your search history and your “For You Page.”
- The next place you want to go is the “cache section” of TikTok.
- Go to the bottom right hand corner and tap on the “me” tab.
- Now tap on the three dots at the upper right corner.
- From there scroll down till you see a “clear cache” and then tap on that and your cache will be cleared.
This will clear a lot of the old cache on the app and it will help to reset that “for you page.”
How Do You Customize Your “For You Page”?
Clear Watch History
- Tap on your profile icon at the bottom right corner. Then tap the three lines at the top right corner.
- Now hit “Settings and Privacy.”
- Below the “Dark Mode” option you’ll see “Watch History.” So go ahead and tap on that.
- Next tap on the gear icon at the very top right corner and then hit “Clear History.”
- At last tap on Clear to finish the process.
So this will clear all of your history of videos that you’ve watched on TikTok. It will help to reset that “for you page” because all those videos won’t be influencing the FYP.
Like Specific Type Of Video
The first suggestion I have is to only like videos you want to see in the future. So if you go back to the “For You Page” you’re going to like videos that you want to see in the future. Then you can like a specific type of content like food or comedy sketch. And then this type of content will start appearing on the “For You Page.”
You Can Show No Interest In Certain Types Of Videos
The next thing you can do to customize your page is to click not interested on any of the types of videos you don’t want to see.
So to mark not interested in a video you have to long press on the video and then a menu comes up. The below fourth option you need to click and it gets rid of the video. You won’t see that video on your “for you page” anymore.
You can also hide the user from your “For You Page” the same way that you did on the non-interested video. So if you hold down on a video next to not interested you’ll see a section of more options. Tap on that and then you have the option to hide the videos from this user or hide videos with this sound. Now you can choose according to your preference.
Search Videos You Want To See
You can also search for specific videos you want to see and TikTok will take that into account. So if you go back to the search section and type any creator’s name it will start showing up on your for you page. Because TikTok does indeed take into account what you search and they put that towards your For You Page formulation.
Why is TikTok Showing Me Videos I Don’t Like?
Since TikTok learns your watching habits and then displays a similar video to you on the For You Page. So it might happen if you recently watched a video that you didn’t like. And TikTok could be pushing the same user videos on your feed due to your watch history. If a random video goes viral then it could also land on your feed. Which you perhaps don’t like.
To get rid of this type of content simply make them not interested. Just long press on that video then hit Not Interested and that’s it. Next time TikTok won’t show you such videos.
Also Read: How To Hide Followers And Following On TikTok
With a few simple steps, you can change your interests on TikTok. All you have to do is change the categories that you’re interested in on your profile. Choose your most dominant interests which you would like to see. You can follow all the steps mentioned above.
If you have any doubts let me know in the comments below!